Re: [ST] I'm new here....

For the 2002 model year the engine was upgraded.  The shifter on the 2001
actually loosens up after a few thousand miles and is quite nice.  The 2002
starts out that way.  The other thing I have noticed on my 2002 vs the 2001
is that there is even more power that appears to have no drop off at low
rpm.  The 2001 starts pretty low but the 2002 is just off idle low. This makes
the bike a great bike for riding up hills in San Francisco with a passenger.
By comparison the VFR doesn't have the same torque until the engine is in the
5k range.  I stalled that bike on hills with passengers a few times.

$8600 isn't a bad price for a 2001 but you can probably get a 2002 for 8900 or
9000 and that might be worth it to get the smoother shifing gearbox.  The
throttle cable setup is also a vast improvement.

Reliabilty wise the bike wont leave you stranded but you will probably
experince a recall or two.  I had 3 items that were known issues on the
2001.  Clutch cable went 2 times before it was recalled, output shaft
leaked and the fuel pump was whaling from day 1.  All fixed without too much
fuss.  My 2002 had a recall on the rear wheel bearing before I even took it
home.  I know of 3 or 4 other people with either STs or Tigers and they
are as reliable as the ikes my other friends own and the Triumph owners
seem a lot more satisfied (anecdotal).

Wes

On Mon Sep 30 at 02:14:34 PM, Wilhite, Bruce R wrote:

> Hey people!!
>
> I'm shopping for a Sport Touring bike.  I actually haven't had a bike for a
> couple of years, but I'm getting the bug again.  My last bike was an SV650
> and before that, a CBR600F2.  I'm looking for something that can carry two
> more comfortably than my previous bikes, and also carry my stuff more
> easily.  I'm tired of the backpack routine.  I've always had my eye on the
> VFR, but no luggage (until now, supposedly).  I test rode an ST back in
> 2000.  I really liked the feel and the power, but the gearbox was a bit
> "tricky".  My local Triumph dealer has a blue 2001 ST on sale for $8600 (no
> bags) that is really tempting.  I've heard that the 2001+ ST have even
> better power and improved shifting.  How is the reliability?  Any comments
> here are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> -Bruce

- --
My old sig was about Vaxen and VMS but I can't even figure out
the name of the company that owns them anymore.