Re: [ST] RD's ST overheating

> Anyway, I think the temp sensor will get replaced
> this weekend.

Jack,
Before you replace the sensor, look for a signs of corrosion on
the contacts.  With a NTC sensor, if there is resistance at the
connector, the ecu will see a reading which is lower than the
actual coolant temperature and delay fan operation, with
predictable results.  A little contact cleaner will often correct
the problem, though just unplugging and replugging the connector
will usually improve the connection.  I can't recall whether
Triumph publishes resistance values for the coolant temp sensor.
Perhaps one of the manual-endowed liSTees could research that
data?

While we're on the subject of cooling systems, a caution:
When I had the left fairing panel off last week I noticed some
seepage due to a loose hose clamp.  While snugging up the other
clamps (several were loose), I found two hoses which were routed
so that they were touching parts of the engine and showing wear.
One was the return hose from the radiator to the water pump.  It
was rubbing on the left lower front corner of the engine.  The
other, the bypass hose, was touching the head of the left upper
engine mount bolt.  I'll be attempting to reroute these hoses to
eliminate the contact points.  Failing that, I'll overwrap the
hoses to protect them.
HTH,
- -Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST