Re: [ST] Chain - endlesss or linked?

In your message regarding [ST] Chain - endlesss or linked? dated Sun,
13 Apr 2003 18:08:35 +0100, Mike Bostock said that ...

>MB- The Triumph ST chain is an endless chain - what is the advantage of
>MB- an endless chain over one joined and riveted?
>MB-

Thanks for all the advice.

In any case I fitted an endless chain today - Triumph OEM with DID
stamped on it.  Took me just under 4 hours to remove and replace the
swinging arm but having done it once reckon I could do it in 2 hours
now.  It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be - I could
almost say it was fun ;-)

I emailed DID with reference the pro's and cons of endless vs
riveted, and here, for the record, is their answer:-

<quote>
Factory testing of a properly installed chain using a rivet type
indicate that such a link is 95% as strong as any other link in
the chain. This would mean that an endless chain has a full 100%
strength.
</quote>

BTW I fitted new sprockets also, 18T Triumph OEM on the front and
anodised 45T on the rear.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/