Re: [ST] Planning Motorcycle Tour - What do I bring?

first read this  http://www.ironbutt.com/aow/25tips.html

> Off the top of my head, the following would seem pretty important:
> - Flat-tire kit (can anyone suggest any?)

I have several.  I haven't tried out the riderwarehouse "pump from the
cylinder" kit.  It seemed like it would be a pain on bikes that have
lots of fairing.  I figured the time it would take to R/R a fairing, I
could use 2 CO2 cans and a hand pump to achieve similar result.  I use
the "plug from the outside" as emergency plugs on the roadside.  (bad,
but better than pulling a tire (yeah..  break the bead of a radial on
the side of the road???  don't think so).  I picked up the BMW style kit.

as for what items you want:

here is a list which I used as a starter list for my cross continent fun
last august:
http://www.angelfire.com/bc/artofmotorcycling/touringessentials.html

 From this list about the only things I didn't pack were
electric vest (it was summer, and I don't have one)
collapsable water carrier (I swear by my camelback + 1 nalgene bottle)

I went light on camping supplies, so things like hatchet and chair were
not included.  I have my inventory lists somewhere...

I did bring a GPS, (a garmin 176) but it was never mounted.  My feeling
is if you need the GPS like a map, you need to pull over and look at it.

cell phone ==  there is analog coverage almost all the way up and down
I-5.  much less on US 101 and nothing (or next to nothing) in coastal
mountains.

> I'm probably missing some really obvious and no-doubt essential piece of
> equipment, so any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

few things I can't stress enough:  shield cleaner and rag.  Keep it in
the tank bag.

> If anyone has ridden this or any portion, I'd like to try to compile some
> realistic time-lines for getting from point-to-point. I'm planning to stick
> to mostly-coastal routes from the bay area to Portland, go direct from

to really enjoy the roads plan on 1 long day to eureka (all day) 1 day
to portland (skipping crater lake).  Check pashnit for other really good
roads..  there are too many to mention.  If you choose the coastal route
to portland, expect bone chilling dampness at the end of the day and
early in the am.  If you don't have heated grips, consider glove liners.

> Portland to Seattle, visit my mom for a couple of days outside of Seattle,
> and do the fast-and-furious I-5 on the way back.

It's 840 miles and that makes a long day.  I've done it in 12 (once, and
never again), but plan for something reasonable like 15.  leaving early
in the morning from seattle is much better than leaving at 9 am after a
big breakfast.  I can leave SF after the big breakfast and motor up to
portland / olympia / seattle, but somehow, when heading south, the big
breakfast doesn't work.  (for me)

> And any anecdotal
> information about the disposition of LEO's and Cagers towards motorcyclists
> in the various regions would be cool.

no lane sharing.  don't try it anywhere near seattle.  LEO is strict
from olympia WA all the way to seattle (60 mph).  LEO is fairly strict
(lots of radar, unlike CA) in oregon (more so on I -5 than the back
routes in my experiences)

I have seen many a CHP in the last 10-15 miles before the agricultural
inspection station on SB I 5.

some people in the lovely PNW ignore "the keep right except to pass"
guideline law.  Ironically, many people in oregon are bothered if you
pass them on the right.

People everywhere are clueless.

Have fun.

- --chuck