Re: [ST] Planning Motorcycle Tour - What do I bring?

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 10:26:57AM -0700, peter.chittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I wanted to pick the collective brain of the group here, having never
> ventured out on an over-night tour before. What are some of the more
> essential pieces of equipment to bring?

For me, the thing I use most is an old washcloth and spray bottle of
windex that I keep in my tankbag to clean my faceshield with.  You can
find a real small spray bottle in the travel-sized section of a pharmacy
or target, walmart, etc.  I actually just put some windshield washer
fluid in it.

> Off the top of my head, the following would seem pretty important:
> - Flat-tire kit (can anyone suggest any?)

I just have a $3 tubeless tire repair kit from autozone.  Got me home
400 miles from Arkansas in March.

> - Chain lube

Yeah, I actually sprung for one of the mini-cans of it.  You only need
it once or twice on a trip, so it will last a long time, and saves a lot
of space vs the full size can.

> - Some kind of extension of the stock tool kit (any suggestions?)

Maybe a torx or two, or the 46mm nut for the rear wheel if you've got
it.  Vicegrips or a leatherman type tool.

Trashbags to line your luggage with if you're not absosmurfly sure it's
waterproof.

Spare earplugs.
Extra set of gloves, for when your main ones get wet.

Food to snack on at stops.  Powerbars, jerky, trail mix, dried fruit are
my favorites.

I find that the key to me enjoying a long day depends on me keeping 3
things in check: need for rest, hydration, and sugar levels.  I've
learned that if I find myself getting exhausted, irritable,
semi-nauseous, etc after hours in the saddle, it's usually because I've
been pushing to make miles too much and haven't taken care of myself.
To combat that, I try to remember to do the following:

Try not to ride when you're sleep-deprived.  Stop and take a nap if you
find yourself really zoning out.

Drink more water than you think you need to throughout the day.
Dehydration is not fun.  Avoid caffeine if you can.  It's a diuretic and
will force you to make lots of bathroom stops.

Eat a little something even when you don't think you need to.  I'm
really bad about this as I can go a long time without eating and don't
realize that my body is unhappy about it, until late in the afternoon.
Then I realize that I've missed lunch and it's now 3pm.  Especially if
I'm doing a long distance, I'll keep trying to push for another hour or
so, until I start feeling sick or pissy.  (Now, my wife on the other
hand, has very regular needs for sugars.  When we're on road trips and I
detect any crankiness or irritability in her, I check my watch.  If it's
after 11am, we stop and eat right then and there.  :)  )

Anyway, enjoy the trip.  There's nothing quite like heading out on an
overnight motorcycle journey.

Laters,
Brian
- --