Re: [ST] Helmet cam

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Helmet cam dated Thu, 24 Apr 2003
20:42:22 -0400 (EDT), Bil Swartz said that ...

>BS- On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Mike Bostock wrote:
>
> > I want to mount it as a helmet camera.  Does anyone have any
> > particularly neat solutions for going this?
>BS-
>BS- Perhaps some NASA brand hook and loop (velcro) fastener?  Just kidding
>BS- about NASA brand, but if one side is flat or can be attached to something
>BS- flat, it should give you enough surface area to hold on to.
>BS-
>BS- If you wan something more solid perhaps you could epoxy some small clip-on
>BS- device to the helmet and camera.

OK I think I have got how to do this now thanks to inspiration from
the ideas you guys have suggested.  A strip of very heavy duty velcro
cloth over the top centre of the helmet from front to back. Two
self-adhesive cable tie (zip-tie) pads with the velcro loops fixed to
the base with the camera zip-tied to the two pads.  An additional
fixed pad on the rear base of the helmet with a removable zip-tie for
the cable.  The front-to-back strip will allow positioning of the
camera in the vertical axis due to the curvature of the helmet.

> > BTW it requires a 12V regulated power supply (the bike can peak to
> > 13.5 volts) any easy way of regulating this?
>BS-
>BS- That shold be easy enough with a typical car cigarette lighter type power
>BS- adapter that puts out various voltages, commonly used for powering cd
>BS- players, radios, pocket tv's, etc.  You should be able to find one at
>BS- Radidio Shack.

I have a cigar lighter voltage regulator which regulates all the
output voltages 1.5,3 -> 9 but states that the 12v output is
UNregulated! I suppose I could see if the camera works on 9v and use
that?

>BS- I've been interested in getting one of these myself so be sure to let us
>BS- know how you do.  How does it interface to your camera?

http://www.maplin.co.uk
SH77J   Bullet Camera Colour
JY53H   Car Power Adaptor

I have a Sony Digital camera which also acts as a VCR; the Bullet
Camera has a BNC line socket on the end of the wire.  The Sony has
its own dedicated input/output lead which terminates in a phono type
plug.  I have a BNC->Phono adapter (which is push fit allowing the
wires to separate in the event of an involuntary dismount).  The
power supply lead is one of the standard sockets for which there is a
plug in the Car Power Adaptor kit.

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx