Re: [ST] Triumph Soft Luggage / luggage on rear rack

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 09:54:06PM -0400, Ken Mitchell wrote:
> Stuart,
>
> If you get the top rack and an RKA, you just spent MORE than the cost of the
> Sport Throwover Panniers (and their accompanying bodywork protectors), and
> you will have about 1/2 the carrying capacity.

I agree.  But do you need a toprack for an RKA?  They make a "tailpack"
that straps to the passenger seat and looks pretty useful.  Or do you
ride with a pillion?

If you're going to get a toprack, consider getting an adapter and givi
box with it.  Topboxes, while not considered stylish in the US, kick
much booty.

Also, I think it comes down to the question: how often do you need to
use the sidebags?  If it's every day for commuting, hard sidebags are
better (and topbox is better for lanesplitting, if you live somewhere
that's legal).  If it's just for a couple trips a year, the softbags are
a better value, hold as much and are very well made.

> I have the soft bags, and have ZERO regrets. Huge capacity, and perfectly
> dry when the covers are  pulled over them. (Though still OK in a misty drip
> w/o the covers.) I have "tested" them to 35mph over the stated "80mph max",
> and 2x the stated "6kg max" weight. No problem!

I loved mine too, though I only did 1 8-day trip with them.  They held
on at 125mph (actual) with no problems.  Sold them to STeve Duncan and
it looks like they're working out for him, as I keep seeing them on his
bike in faraway lands.  :)

Laters,
Brian
- --