Re: [ST] New ST owner - questions

The brakes are normal.  Triumph chose a smaller master cylinder than the
Japanese would so you can apply more clamping force with just a few
fingers.  This is the Triumph version of power brakes.
skykingproducts.com has a larger M/C (5/8" instead of 14mm) that will
firm up the lever.  It will require more lever force to stop as hard,
though.  I think the price is reasonable and I'm tempted myself.  The
larger M/C will require 13.4% more lever force for the same clamping
force on the rotors.  Should be nice.

Trick:  While sitting still, pump the front lever *hard* 10 times.  Pull
it back to the grip if you can and fully release each time.  It pushes
the caliper pistons a little farther through the seals and takes up the
gap between the pad and rotor.  You'll get a firmer lever that way.

Check the owner's manual, I believe a 4-year-old bike should have its
M/C and calipers overhauled, if you follow the schedule.  That can't
hurt and might improve the "feel".

Rupert Galea wrote:
> I picked up a 99 ST today :)

> One thing I was not totally happy with was the front brakes. They seemed
> a bit spongy. The bike has 13.6K on it and nothing has been done to them
> so perhaps they just need bleeding?

- --
John Albright
'02 RS