Re: [ST] New ST owner - questions

> I picked up a 99 ST today :)
> I have been without a bike for 4 years :(

Congrats!  Welcome back.

> They say it throws out less heat than a Daytona 595 but it still
> throws out quite a bit of heat (it is bloody hot out today though).

I find that the '99 ST puts out less heat than my '93 ST1100.  However, I do
get some heat on the back of my left calf.  On a recent 150 mile ride
through the Central Valley, the temp hit 106.  I moved my knees out into the
wind to take the heat away temporarily.

> One thing I was not totally happy with was the front brakes.
> They seemed a bit spongy. The bike has 13.6K on it and nothing has been
done to them
> so perhaps they just need bleeding?

I replaced my front pads at 6000 miles and changed the brake fluid at 12000
miles.  They are awesome.  Could the "spongy" feel be the fork springs
diving?  One of the most popular modifications is Race Tech Springs and Gold
Valves:  http://www.racetech.com/homestreet.asp?showPage=street

> Also it has the original front tire on it. My guess is it will need
changing soon.
> What are the favorite tires for this bike?

After "just OK" performance from Dunlop 207's, I switched to Bridgestone BT
020's.  I love 'em.  I am expecting better mileage too.  Most of the 12
Triumphs on last weekend's RAT ride were on Bridgestones.  The Daytona guys
rode BT 010's and the ST's and RS's had BT 020's.  Good luck.

George Cope
Roseville, CA
'99 ST Midnight