RE: [ST] New ST owner - questions

> There is no such thing as a BT57 SS.  If he's installed a BT56SS as a
rear
> tire, and it still has the BT57 on the front this is a VERY bad match
up.
> The 56SS is a supersport tire, therefore has much higher grip
> characteristics than the 57(a sport touring tire), not what you want
on
> the
> rear.  I'd suggest ditching the set for something a bit better
matched.
> I've done pretty good with the BT020's as a set, or one rear and a
BT010
> front.  I'm seriously contemplating a set of the new Avon sport
touring
> tires(AV45/46 I think).  I absolutly loved Pirellis Dragon GTS, but
they
> stopped producing those this year.

I just had a look. It is indeed BT56 Type SS at the rear and BT57 at the
front :( I am leaning towards BT010's or BT020's. Does anyone know how
much more mileage you get out of the 020's? Since front tires usually
last longer the BT010 with a BT020 rear sounds like a good idea.

> Could the "spongy" feel be the fork springs
> diving?  One of the most popular modifications is Race Tech Springs
and
> Gold
> Valves:  http://www.racetech.com/homestreet.asp?showPage=street

I think this might be what I am experiencing as initially there is
little bite and then it improves. I am comparing it to a 98 VFR I test
road last week that had been raceteched and had almost no dive. I need
to ride the bike some more. I think this is a mod I will want to do.

I will bleed and clean the brakes anyway.

Seems like the consensus is to go with the Triumph Mobil 1. What does an
oil change end up costing? How often do you change the oil?

Thanks for all the information and warm welcome.
Rupert (who should be out riding)