Re: [ST] High Side

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:41:04AM -0400, Masiak, Richard wrote:
> On Wed, Thursday, August 07, 2003 2:28 AM, Brian wrote:
>
> >I have not decided whether I will get sliders again.  I tend to think
> >that even without them, my bike would have been totalled (high-side at
> >about 20mph), but I'll never that for sure.
>
> Not to bring up bad memories, but we all learn from mistakes - our own and
> others. 20mph is slower than I would expect a high side occur.  Would you
> care to elaborate on what happened, if you remember.

Start out with cold tires.  Stop at a stop sign.  As you make a left
turn (or a right will do) onto the cross-street, give enough throttle to
break the rear wheel free.  You might be surprised how little throttle
this requires.  As the rear steps out, panic and chop the throttle
closed when the front and rear wheels are not aligned.  Prepare for
takeoff!

The correct way to handle the rear stepping out is to keep the throttle
open and let the rear spin until it hooks up on its own.  Dirt-tracker
guys tell me it's easy, but so far I haven't had another chance to
practice *knock wood*.

Laters,
Brian
- --