Re: [ST] Mapping Software

If you want to *find* someplace, I highly recommend the GNIS
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form
With it, you can locate just about any place or feature in the
continental US and see it on a schematic map, topo, or TerraServer.

The TerraServer http://terraserver-usa.com/ , will give you back
an airphoto image or topo of the area you search for. (.jpg format>

If it's just topos you want, the National Geographic Topo!
gives you great, seamless maps.
http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/cdroms.cfm#state
You can get an area/region for $25 or buy a state for $99.
REI and some other outdoor shops have kiosk where you where can
check it out.

M$ MapPoint provides decent maps, I understand (he said never having
used the software).

After these, well, you start getting into the professional software
which uses GIS data which is probably beyond what you want.

Kevin Liske
Adapt and Overcome

   "The West won the world not by the superiority
    of its ideas or values or religion but rather by
    its superiority in applying organized violence.
    Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners
    never do."