Re: [ST] Re: tire test reports

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:24:27 -0700, Rick & Joyce wrote:

>I've seen 2 tests of the Pilot Road:
>http://www.racing.co.il/test.htm and
>http://www.sportsbikeworld.co.uk/Reviews/Michelin/michelin_pilot.htm .
>Both are very favorable.  Any thoughts on these reports?

When was the last time you read a tire test report that was NOT favorable?
I find tire reports very hard to evaluate. Many time the test is at the track and I
just don't care very much. The street reports are hard because you don't
really have an idea of the roads or how hard they where ridden. And most
important of all the magazines never wear the tires out to test the mileage.
Sometime they say things like "after the... the tires had plenty of tread...".
How many times have you checked your tires, seen plenty of tread, and they
were worn out the next week. I just can't judge mileage from partially worn
tires. Some tires wear linearly, some wear much faster at the end of their
life.
But I always read the tire tests anyway.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA