Re: [ST] Help with Ohlins shock

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 07:40  PM, Erik Miner wrote:
> Dear St'ers I need some help.. A friend of mine has a 2000 ST that he
> wats to fit an Ohlins to. Ohlins USA says that they don't make a shock
> for the 2000 .. they only list for the 99!

I bought a TR-851 for my 2000 ST. It works like a dream and the install
was straight forward, as per the instructions that came with the unit.
I don't know who you're talking with at Ohlins, but I'll suggest that
they're misinformed. I talked with a couple of the Ohlins techs when
trying to determine which spring to get, and each of them confirmed
that the TR-851 is correct for a 2000 ST.

One note: make sure your friend calculates the ST's weight carefully.
An ST weighs 540 pounds wet with panniers, which is much more than what
Triumph quotes. Add the rider weight + riding gear + whatever extra
stuff he normally carries. IIRC, I opted to get a 17kg spring, instead
of the standard 16kg. I can just barely set the static sag correctly
with the pre-load turned all the way up. Once I become gainfully
employed I'll probably try an 18kg spring ($100), since I'd like to
have a little more suspension adjustment for traveling two-up.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
President, Triumph Sport Riders Assoc.
San Jose, CA  (USA)
*** TSRA Western Rallye in New Mexico: Sept. 19th and 20th ***