From: Harries, Mort [mailto:mort.harries@xxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 2:54 PM
To: 'ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'; st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ST] Oh the conflicting info! WAS-> Need Oil Filter
Alternati ves

Hey guys, let's put this 600 mile thing in perspective.  600 miles is a
reccommendation, but it is NOT an absolute.  Think about it, what matters is
how long the engine is running, not how many miles the bike does.
Theoretically, you could do that first 600 miles at 60mph and the engine
would have been running for ten hours.  Or do the whole 600 miles at 30mph
and the engine would have been running for 20 hours.  I know, I know, you
have to vary the rpm and observe various rpm limits through the break in,
but the point is that two different riders could put quite a different
number of hours on the engine in 600 miles.  So treat it as a guide, not an
absolute number.

Mort H.
00 ST