Re: [ST] Cross-references found! WAS-> Need alternative oil filt er alternatives

ROTFLMAO !!!!

This thread kills me.  It comes up on EVERY list regarding EVERY bike
EVERY six months :-) :-) :-)

As far as filter quality is concerned, yes there are differences, and
yes, some are better than others, but if you're changing them
frequently and using a quality oil, WHO REALLY CARES :-) :-) :-)

You will NEVER convince me that Triumph is building an engine that is
considerably more complex with tighter tolerances than the Japanese,
thereby requiring a "special" filter and "special" oil.  Admittedly,
there are people out there who like to FEEL "special", so by all means,
drop the big dollars and sleep better at night.  FWIW, I know the
Yamaha FZ-1 filter is of high quality;  we had a guy on the list tear
one down and compare it to some "off the shelf" brands, and while the
FZ-1 part was clearly better made, the overall difference was
relatively negligible.  Its not like I'm going to pee in the crank case
and stuff a napkin in the filter hole.  its a good filter that I can
get cheap at a dealership less than 5 minutes away.  Which brings me to
my next point:

It is not my responsibility to keep my dealer in business:  its HIS.
In order to win my business, they must offer me quality parts and
service at a competitive price.  I caved on tires and an oil change
this time due to convenience and timing, and I'm having my dealer do
the work.  I doubt it will ever happen again.  Modern bikes are
designed to be easy to work on (with certain exceptions like Goldwings,
of course, but they almost never break:-).  The only way to guarantee
more service traffic through the dealerships is to either make bikes
hopelessly complex (at which customers will balk) or extend the
warranty.  If your bike had a 3-5 year warranty, most people would take
it to the dealer for almost EVERYTHING.  Of course, the manufacturers
aren't quite that confident in their product, and only a few (Triumph
included) offer anything but a one year deal.  I don't see many people
buying extended service agreements, so the average rider must have some
confidence in their ability to handle issues as they crop up.

Don't get me wrong, I like my dealer.  They seem like reasonably nice
people that care about what they do.  But they're 45 minutes away on a
good day, and I can't just run out there whenever I please.  I can snap
off an oil change for half the price in a fraction of the time, picking
up the materials when I'm out shopping for important things like food.
If this puts my dealer out of business, so be it.  I'll just buy
another bike next time.  Its a machine;  I'll get over it.  If all the
bike dealerships disappear, then I'll find another ridiculous/expensive
diversion.  I doubt that will happen;  someone will find a business
model that works.  Those that can't adapt will be doomed to failure.

I mean, its OK to "love" your bike; just don't LOVE you bike...   :-)

As an aside:  A very close friend of mine runs the Fram plant in
Dayton.  The largest part of their business is OEM.  Well, that and
fleet trucks (higher margins).  I forget what his customer list is, but
chances are good that, if its built here, has an engine, and carries
passengers, its got a Fram in it.

Peace !

Eric.