[ST] Another wheel removal tip [was: Avon Azaro ST 45/46]

Appreciate your Avon report, Eric.  I couldn't have said
it better myself  ;o).

I like to take my own rims off the bike as well but I don't
completely trust bike stands.  Here's a system which supports
the bike securely for wheel removal:

You'll need a pair of 2 ft. tall supports, like automotive jack
stands and ~3 ft. of up to 1.25 in. OD bar.  I use a 3 ft. long,
1 in. diameter breaker bar but a piece of iron pipe will do just
fine.

Start with the bike on the center stand (sorry RSer's *), slide
the bar through the side fairing opening, beneath the headers and
out the other side, to rest on one stand.  Then, with the other
stand near the free end of the bar, lift the bar - it helps to
slip another bar into/over the support bar for additional
leverage - and slide the second stand under the end of the bar.
With a bit of practice you can have the bike stable with both
wheels off the ground in less than a minute.
- --
HTH,
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST

* Actually, on a bike with no center stand,  you can use this
same technique to raise the front wheel off the ground.  To
prevent mishaps, it's useful to have an assistant on the opposite
side.