Re: [ST] charging batteries, or not

I agree with Bare's posting, except that it's acceptable for the
battery voltage to drop while under load.  The following was
shamelessly lifted from
http://www.pacificpowerbatteries.com/aboutbatts/Car%20Battery%20FAQ/carfaq4.html

4.5. LOAD TEST

If the battery's state-of-charge is at 75% or higher or has a
"good" built-in hydrometer indication, then you can load test the
battery by one of the following methods:

4.5.1. Turn the headlights on high beam for five minutes.

4.5.2. Disable the ignition and turn the engine over for 15
seconds with the starter motor.

4.5.3. With a battery load tester, apply a load equal to one half
of the CCA rating of the battery for 15 seconds.

4.5.4. With a battery load tester, apply a load equal to one half
the OEM cranking amp specification for 15 seconds.

DURING the load test, the voltage on a good battery will NOT drop
below the following table's indicated voltage with the
electrolyte at the shown temperatures:

first column: ElectrolyteTemperature F
second column: ElectrolyteTemperature C
third colunm: Minimum Voltage Under LOAD
100  37.8  9.9
90  32.2  9.8
80  26.7  9.7
70  21.1  9.6