Re: [ST] charging batteries, or not

Just a comment.  Voltmeters are great indicators but when dealing with
charging they don't tell the whole story.  If you have one available, put an
ammeter inline at the battery terminal.   Measure the voltage of the battery
with cables disconnected.  That is the battery voltage.   Measure the
voltage across the battery with the engine running.  That is the alternator
voltage.   Once running you can watch current flow using the ammeter.   You
can vary the RPM and watch voltage and current as well.  Look at the
readings and they will pretty much tell you if it's the charging system or
the battery.

IMO, there is a much simpler method.  Take the battery out and go to a good
battery store and they will test it under load.
Quite frankly, I prefer the simple method.  It's takes a lot less thinking
on my part, and thinking is getting harder every day :-)
Rod