Re: [ST] Centerstand trust & wheel removal

<<
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:09:22 -0400 (EDT), Bil Swartz wrote:

>> I have never had a problem using the bike centerstand to remove a wheel,
or
>> two. In twenty years and many bikes, zero problems.
>
>You don't have hard bags do ya'...that extra inch a rear stand makes it
>easier but I find I still have to loosen bracketry, mebbe the 2x4 under
>the center stand will give me that extra 1/2" needed to do it clean.

I do have hard bags. And I do have to loosen the bracket and squeeze a
little.
But I can get the tire under the fender fairly easy, with the 1" block.

So now I have to ask, what am I doing right that I'm not needing this extra
clearance on the fender?  I haven't done a fender chop on my bike.  I do
take the exhaust can loose and pivot it away from the wheel.  I've found
with just alittle turning of the wheel in the horizontal plane, then tipping
it back towards the back of the bike a bit, I can get it out and around the
axle without taking off any of the pannier braketry.  Now you do have to be
careful not to bang it around and threaten the powdercoat on the wheel, but
it's pretty tough stuff.*shrug*

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen