Re: [ST] Centerstand trust & wheel removal

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Centerstand trust & wheel removal
dated Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:34:55 -0500, Steven Kohlscheen said that ...

>SK- <<
>SK- On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:09:22 -0400 (EDT), Bil Swartz wrote:
>
> >> I have never had a problem using the bike centerstand to remove a wheel,
>SK- or
> >> two. In twenty years and many bikes, zero problems.
> >
> >You don't have hard bags do ya'...that extra inch a rear stand makes it
> >easier but I find I still have to loosen bracketry, mebbe the 2x4 under
> >the center stand will give me that extra 1/2" needed to do it clean.
>SK-
>SK- I do have hard bags. And I do have to loosen the bracket and squeeze a
>SK- little.
>SK- But I can get the tire under the fender fairly easy, with the 1" block.
> >>
>SK- So now I have to ask, what am I doing right that I'm not needing this extra
>SK- clearance on the fender?  I haven't done a fender chop on my bike.  I do
>SK- take the exhaust can loose and pivot it away from the wheel.  I've found
>SK- with just alittle turning of the wheel in the horizontal plane, then tipping
>SK- it back towards the back of the bike a bit, I can get it out and around the
>SK- axle without taking off any of the pannier braketry.  Now you do have to be
>SK- careful not to bang it around and threaten the powdercoat on the wheel, but
>SK- it's pretty tough stuff.*shrug*

Letting the air out of the tyre and putting a rag over the end of the
axle works for me.

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx