Re: [ST] Battery/Charging Question..and ....charging batteries, or not

At 18:31 19/08/03, you wrote:
>I don't get it!

George,

Try measuring the voltage with the bike running at 3-4k rpm. Then turn the
lights on full beam (plus any other electrical load you have like heated
grips). If you're still getting 14.5V - ish then a new battery will
probably sort the problem. I had a CB400 Super Four (grey import) that
wouldn't quite start when cold, but all electrics ran OK. A new battery
cured it. A motorcycle garage did do a load test on the old one and claimed
it was on the way out.

Here's a useful fault finding chart though.
http://www.electrexusa.com/electrex_fault_finding.html

There is however an art to "running in" a new battery - getting the initial
charge wrong can (allegedly) mean it'll never work at 100%. It used to on
the mcnnews web site, but it's gone. I'll try and find the link for you or
see if I ever downloaded a copy.

Good hunting,

Stephen (Spud) McS.