[ST] Metal fittings (long)

I've been riding back from Waco Texas to Chevy Chase Maryland over the last
five days and those 2.078 miles (if the emap is to be trusted) through the
Ouachitas, Ozarks,  Cherohala, Deals Gap, Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge and
Skyline Drive was gorgeous.  A big thank to whoever on the list recommended
the "coolstuff" underwear. Boy, that thing works. It was 100° on Monday near
Townsend TN at the foot of the Smokies and 65° on the top of Clingmans Dome
at 6643 feet two hours later but I could not tell the difference. Combined
with the "Ridecool" evaporative vest and bandana, I never suffered from the
heat though I was wearing full (vented) leathers.
But that's not the point.
Just before leaving Texas, I had the metal fuel fittings made by Team
Triumph of Wisconsin installed on the bike. I was too afraid the plastic
ones would fail while on the road.
Well, the metal one did. Not the fitting itself but its metal end pierced
the fuel hose and I ran dry on the Skyline Drive. Luckily the gas hose comes
with a lot of slack so I cut the broken end (about an inch), sleeved it back
and a Park Ranger gave me a quart of gas to make it to the next gas station.
The fuel hose slack makes it form an elbow and this is where it broke. I cut
about an other inch to day, put new clamps and it looks fine.
That was a good reminder for lesson number one: If ain't broke, don't fix
it...
My 2 cents
Jean "Chase Dawg" Doublet Sprint 99