RE: [ST] Front Suspension Clunk

Rupert,
You'll probably find this answer less than desired, but here's what the
Haynes Service & Repair Manual says:

. . . slacken the adjuster nut under the top yoke slightly until pressure
is just released, then tighten it until all freeplay is removed, then
tighten it a little more.  This pre-loads the bearings.  Now slacken the
nut then tighten it again, setting it so that all freeplay is just removed
yet the steering is able to move freely from side to side.  To do this
tighten the nut only a little at a time, and after each tightening repeat
the checks outlined above (these checks tell you to support the bike with
the front wheel off the ground and pull/push on the fork sliders to feel
for looseness) until the bearings are correctly set.  The object is to set
the adjuster nut so that the bearings are under a very light loading, just
enough to remove any freeplay.  Caution:  Take great care not to apply
excessive pressure because this will cause premature failure of the
bearings. <-- end of quote.

I haven't adjusted my Sprint; however, I have adjusted bikes years ago,
when they came with an adjusting nut that could be turned without tools,
while one drove.  Another way to tell if the head is loose while sitting on
the bike, is to apply the front brake and rock the bike forwards and
backwards - if the head is loose, you can feel the freeplay as you rock the
bike.  Don't mistake the shocks compressing for freeplay.
Craig

At 10:45 PM 8/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> > My front end made some clunking, particularly while braking and going
>over
> > rough pavement. I had the headset adjusted. Dealer said it was way too
> > loose. Clunking is gone. Good luck.
>
>I get a clunk when braking and the steering feels too loose to me so I
>believe I have this problem.
>
>Has anyone here adjusted there own head bearings? Have any pointers/a
>torque spec?
>
>Rupert

> *   *

End of st-digest V2002 #1179