Re: [ST] is this the SPRINT list?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, enrico wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian D ." <brd@xxxxxxx>
> To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 5:19 AM
> Subject: [ST] is this the SPRINT list?
>

>> ...or the bash-the-vfr list?
>>
>> I'm wondering if the fact that there's *so* much defensiveness
>> against the Honda says something?
>>

> I don't bash the VFR. As a technician I can't understand why
> Honda built with high complexity a bike with 80 kW out of 782
> ccm. If they had taken the old engine and gave her a little
> more cylinder capacity (say around 950 ccm) it would be a
> really nice bike with high torque in low rpms. Now they have a
> bike which is no sport bike and no tourer - it's a mule. I
> drove the VFR with VTEC - I missed the torque at low rpms and
> can't use

Don't really know if you drive a bike, but that is another
subject :-)

As far as the VFR, they have their good points, and their bad.
All bikes do, and the worst part is they are very subjective.
Hell. one of my biggest beefs with the FJR is that it has a vey
up right seating position, go figure eh? I also don't like the wide
tank, I am worried that the width of the tank will limit my
ridable hours in a day.

I personally think, one of the sexiest engines around is the non
vtec engine with the rigth aftermarket exhaust. In fact, here is
my sexy sound engine list

suzuki V-Twin with after market exhaust.

first gen 955 tripple with the sport exhaust

double cam HD with stock exhaust (yes I meant that)

and non-vtec honda v-4 with the gear driven cams!

mind you, there are a lot of other bikes that sound great, the
above 4 always have stuck out to me.

The issues comes in where each person sits as far as wants. The
ST just fits a lot of people. Where the VFR fit a lot of other
people.

Personally I would not by a vtec engine for two reasons

1) v-tec parts worry me, as far as long term maintainance.

2) I think the current back of Hondas are letting down the I.
Honda leggacy ( think that is the man's name, correct me if I am
wrong)

cheers,
Tom

 Thomas Emberson, Dallas, TX
 '00 Yamaha WR400F (self abuse in style)
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s
 '03 Yamaha FJR1300

 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500
 killed by rocks: '01 BRG Sprint ST (18 months old, 25,152 miles)