[ST] BT020+010 tyre mixes

Well it seems fate answered my questions below.

Last week I was out doing what the ST does best. Touring on virtually empty
fast mountain roads through mid-NSW (Australia) :))) Found that on the map I
would be saying to myself 'OK, I'll stop here', but when I got there, I felt
so good I just kept going. 600-800 km days proved to be no problem with lots
of stops.

Anyway, I was about to hit what is reputedly the best bike road in Oz, the
Oxley Hwy between Armidale and Port Macquarie when I got a puncture on my
rear 020- with just c. 2000 km on it :(  24 hours later I was on my way
again with a new 012 rear to match my 010 (c. 2000 km old) front. Hence my
fears below answered.

And (after dutifully scrubbing in on some awesome sweepers) it allowed me to
directly compare the 010/020 (@36/42 psi) combo with the 010/010 (or in this
case the updated 012) (@36/42 psi) on the same roads/conditions/time.
Result? 100% better! No kidding. Ever since I changed my OEM 57s to the
010/020 combo I have been struggling with the bikes handling- on the track,
touring and around town. The fast turning 010 front would dive in to a
corner and the (slower turning) 020 rear would lag behind. Result was more
of a lunge/dive corner rather than a nice smooth transition. No amount of
playing around with suspension and tyre pressures on the track would cure
it. Of course I know that 010/012 combo is always going to be
faster/stickier, but *more importantly* the bike is instantly balanced too.

I presume a 020/020 would be just as good (if a little slower/stickier), but
my advise FWIW to anyone running a 010/020 combo (perhaps in the cause of
economy) is to do as Bridgestone advises and change to a 010/010 or 020/020
combo when you next change  because the difference is amazing. And, like the
Bridgestone guy said (see link below), they know that rears wear faster so
they make them harder wearing.

Just my AUD0.02 cents worth (c. USD0.015)

Barry
01 BRG ST

> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:31:30 +1000
> From: Barry Evans <barryevans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: [ST] Tire Pressures, a week behind the thread(s)...
>
> VERY interesting. Its great to read it straight from the horses mouth.
Can't
> we get this guy to comment on the ST? I'm now more confused than ever
about
> pressures and I've even got 010/020 combo :(
> Barry
>

> > Date: 15 Aug 2003 18:44:21 +0100
> > From: simonb <simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: RE: [ST] Tire Pressures, a week behind the thread(s)...
> >

> > You might find this of interest. From the Fazer mailing list...
> >
> > http://pub32.ezboard.com/ffazerownersfrm5.showMessage?topicID=212.topic
> >
> > Interesting reading...

End of st-digest V2002 #1187