Re: [ST] Tires (maybe tyres)

> Anyone put some miles on the new Avon AV45/46's???

With just over 7k miles on them, I've nearly used up my first set
of AV45/46's.  I'm ordering another set today.

Impressions:
Turn-in is very neutral and responsive.  They track well and
aren't affected much by pavement irregularities or damp spots.
Unlike the Bridgestones, they hold their line during trail
braking and they seem to come up to temperature nicely in
cool/cold weather (I had low temperature grip problems with an
[old technology] 020 rear).  I haven't come close to finding the
grip limits though I could get the front end to run a bit wide if
I didn't stay forward.  BUT, my riding position with Heli Bar
adaptors and aftermarket handlebars is very upright--about the
same as the Tiger's.  I raised the forks in the triple clamps
12mm which has eliminated the problem.  My hard charging Speed
Triple riding friend has ridden my ST and was also impressed.

Previous tires on this bike:
* OE: BT57's - uninspiring and kinda numb- took them off at 620
miles (bike arrived before the Dunlops) and sold them
* Dunlop D205's - a bit slow turning but very predictable - to 8k
miles [~7400mi] - though I shold hav replaced them sooner as
their performance degraded the last 1k miles or so.
* BT020's - replaced the front with an 010 almost immediately -
pretty good except in v. cool temps - to 15k. [~7600mi]
* Avon AV45/46 which now have 6700mi.  These tires will probably
last 8000 miles but I am riding more aggressively due to their
exceptional characteristics!  There has been absolutely no change
in their performance as they near the end of the tread life.

My understanding is the new Michelin Pilot Road has similar
characteristics but I've decided it's prudent to stick with the
known characteristics of the Avons through the winter.  I'll
probably try the Michelins next season.
- --
HTH,
Rick in Oregon