[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #1188

Mike wrote:
Thanks, Paul, for the heads-up.  I'm just about to have my RaceTech
components installed, and this is the first mention I've seen.

Did you find that the different front attitude changed the handling, or
that ground clearance suffered significantly?

I'm also curious if you went with RT's recommended 15 wt fluid.

Mike

Mike,

I liked the effect on the bike's handling and still do about 8,000 miles
later.  The change was not as dramatic as  with my Trophy, but significant.
There was one incident that brought the change in height home - I was on a
long trip around Lake Superior and thus fairly heavily loaded, including
side-bags, tailbag and  my tank bag with camera equipment and had noticed
that it was more upright when on the sidestand.  I was stopped at a gas
station and filled up with the bike on its centre stand but had forgotten
to flip up the side stand.  When finished, I sat astride the bike and
rocked it forward.  I felt/heard a loud bang as the sidestand struck the
ground and the bike tipped over onto its right side.  Thankfully I was able
to hold onto to it enough to keep the fall from being too fast but my foot
was pinned between the fallen bike and the concrete "island" on which the
pumps were perched.  I was lucky enough that another biker happened to be
there and he helped me right the bike.  Apart from feeling like a right
twit I was unhurt and the only mark on the bike was a scratch on the mirror
housing, but I learned my lesson and have been incident-free since.

Yes, I use the 15 wt fluid.  I assumed they know more about this than I do.
Good luck.

Paul.