[ST] Replacing Brake Pads

I'm sure this topic has been brought up a thousand times, but I hope someone
out there will take pity on a newbie who'd like to learn to fix his own
bike.  I want to change the pads on my bike before I go on a trip in Sep
and, from what I can see of the pads currently, they look a little thin
(although I still stop without any problems and the brakes are making no
noise).  I don't think I'm overly hard on the brakes, but I don't baby them
either.  My bike has 8300 miles on it and I don't know what the life
expectancy of pads is so I'd like a little feedback on miles between pad
replacement from you, the helpful reader.  Any additional info you'd like to
share would be greatly appreciated.

My specific questions are:
1.  To replace the pads, is it necessary to remove either wheel?
2.  I've replaced pads, rotors and  brake hoses on cars and bled car brakes.
  Is the bike more or less difficult than a car?
3.  Any reason why I wouldn't be able to change the pads myself (assuming I
can turn a wrench and have reasonable amounts of common sense and basic
automotive skills)?
4.  The dealer quoted me 1.5 hours of labor for front and rear - is this
reasonable (I think they're labor is $65/hr)?
5.  Are there pads that are significantly better than stock or same quality
as stock and significantly cheaper?  If so what name and where to buy?
6.  What's the minimum thickness for the front and rear rotors?

Thanks

Chris Warren
2001 Sprint ST