[ST] WTF was I THINKING?

>Learned the hard way myself.

Thanks Dan,  It's true what they say, misery does love company:-)

>The one that stripped on me was the long bolt on the right rear of the
cover.

Same here.

>A bit of blue locktite and it held leakfree for the next 12,000 miles
when I took the cam cap off and had a heli coil installed.  Be aware,
though that if you break the cam
cap, you will be installing a new head.  The cam caps are machined to
the
head and fit the cam that is there.

FWIW, and I don't mean to alarm you, my (trusted) mechanic said under no
circumstance use a helicoil. For the very reasons you state above,  you
can only helicoil once, if anything happens you've toasted your head. A
Tim-Sert OTOH can be replaced.
Which brings up another point for another day,  What do you do if you
replace cams? Buy a new head.  Almost any decent auto machine shop can
line bore a cylinder head.  My mechanic told me new caps are N/A, but I
don't understand how if you could get them they couldn't be line bored
to fit ANY head or cam.  Oh well.
>  Also, pay attention to how it comes off
as it has to go back on in the same orientation.  A scratch mark is
sufficient as the ink from a marker will wash off when you clean the cap

after machining it

Thanks, I'm aware of this.  I'll be letting a pro do the Timsert
install.   I don't have the tool.  And I'm taking it to him for a TB
sync and some other stuff, anyway.  Then again, for what I'll pay him I
could buy the tool.   I'll have to look into it.

>Cam cover to cylinder head               10Nm
>Cam caps to head                              10Nm

Thanks Todd. Could you possibly look in the front of your manual and
post the Part # and Edition.  I'm planning on taking this up with
Triumph.  FYI mine is:
Part #3850760 Issue 1, 12/98

Tanks guys,
David