Re: [ST] Stupid Tire Wear Question

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Garry Simmons wrote:

> There is still a tiny lip ( < 1mm) between the tread and the wear bar on the
> replacement, but reasonable amounts of tread  (est. 2-3mm) once you get past
> the very middle of the tire.
>
> Question: While I realize this is somewhat subjective, how much life (if
> any) would you say my tire has in it? Until the tire is flush with the wear
> bar? Until wear bar is wearing/worn down? Until cords show? :-) :-)

Right on, this is a very subjective area and there are lots of variables
so all answers should be taken with a grain or two...

However I just had this conversation the other night with our local tire
guy, the one who changes tires for a lot of his friends.  I took my rear
off maybe a little early, matching about what you are saying above.  He
thought I had about a thousand miles left in it, enough to go this holiday
weekend he figured.  I changed it anyway knowing some longer rides are
coming in Sept and Oct. and didn't want to repeat the process, left the
old one for him to use up plus I didn't want to worry about it anyway if
in fact we did get out for a long ride this weekend (but you see what the
weather is doing to us regarding that!).

Hope it helps a little.  He said I should ride it until the siping in the
middle is starting to disappear, then I might have gotten a thousand or so
more out if it.  And that new tread pattern version you have is prolly a
BT-020 "U", look for the "U" on the sidewall.  I think that designates the
new steel belted version per the posts someone linked us all too on the
Fazer list recently.  I know I got way more miles out of the previous
version 020 than the U I just took off (at least 9k vs the 4700 this one
had) but then like I said, this one came off a little early.

FWIW, HIH, YMMV (har!),

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail