Re: [ST] Stupid Tire Wear Question

> Question: While I realize this is somewhat subjective, how much life (if
> any) would you say my tire has in it? Until the tire is flush with the
wear
> bar? Until wear bar is wearing/worn down? Until cords show? :-) :-)

Garry:
My guess, is you have 1000 or less miles. If you plan to put it in the shop
soon for regular maintenance, do it then. But if you think you're going to
do a few long days touring, do it now.  Nothing like a freshly scrubbed
rubber to inspire confidence.

> FWIW, I plan on putting a Stop-n-Go internal vulcanizing patch on the
> original tire (from the inside, no reaming of tiny nail hole required) and
> running that until my front wears out, then replace them both sometime
next
> season.

Only you can be the judge here.  I had a large nail puncture in the center
tread at 500 miles.  My Triumph dealer (Performance Cycle, Sacramento) did
me a huge favor by plugging it from the inside of the tire just hours before
I was to leave on a 4 day trip.

I checked tire pressures each day on the road trip and found that I still
had a slow leak.  Upon return, my dealer tried to fix the leak again (free,
of course).  They replaced the mushroom plug three times in one day until
one held air.

Performance Cycle will no longer repair ANY tire as a result of the time and
frustration they experienced with mine.  I can't say I blame 'em.

Even though I had a repaired tire, I replaced it soon after (much to the
chagrin of the dealer ;-))  Nothing like peace of mind!

George Cope
Roseville, CA
'99 ST Midnight

End of st-digest V2002 #1197