Re: [ST] Brake Seals & Fluid

On Monday, December 8, 2003, at 11:39  AM, Masiak, Richard wrote:
> Do I need to be going to a motorcycle shop to buy my brake fliud?  I
> don't
> know if I would trust that synthetic cage stuff.

The DOT ratings are basically boiling point measures--the higher the
DOT rating, the higher the boiling point of the fluid, and higher is
better.  What you really need to watch out for is silicone versus
conventional brake fluids.  Most DOT 5 is silicone-based, which is
incompatible with any conventional fluid.  (There's a "5.5" which is a
conventional base fluid that claims to meet the DOT 5 boiling points,
but I don't have any direct experience with it.)

Conventional fluids can be organic or synthetic, but its hard to make
an organic that will meet the DOT 4 specs.  Hence, you'll see most DOT
4 fluids advertise that they are synthetic.

Pick a DOT 4 that does not contain silicone and you'll be set.  Of
course, its easier to find such fluid at a motorcycle store...  FWIW, I
highly recommend Motul RBF 600 (a synthetic -- not silicone -- DOT 4
fluid).  I've used it for almost a decade in both cars and bikes and
have always had fantastic results.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
President, Triumph Sport Riders Assoc.