RE: [ST] track school

While I have not attended any of the others, I've been to many of the
Penguin Roadracing School Track Days (as a photographer.) Not the ones in
FLA, just those at their "home base" of NHIS.

They are only trying to teach you how to get around that particular track
faster, and how to RACE. I know most of their instructors personally,
including Gerry, Eric, and Jeff Wood. They'll be more likely to spend time
with the faster people, while others like Carl McAllister and Glen Piro can
be roped into helping the newer (slower) riders. All really good guys, BTW.

If you just want track time, NESBA, Team ProMotion, and a host of others
offer that. If you really want to go racing, Penguin school is for that. For
those in the New England area I can recommend about 10 different track day
vendors at NHIS other than Penguin. They all do things slightly different,
and I know which offer the most on-track time vs. the best instruction or
even the best food. Yes, track days at NHIS are more money than many in the
mid-Atlantic because of the cost of the track rental, but they do have a
nice clean PAVED paddock with garages, which can be important in inclement
weather.

It's a very technical track with lots of elevation changes and other
features worth learning. Learning there can really translate to riding the
streets of New England with more skills in reserve. I'll let you all know
when (and if) there will be a 2004 Triumph Track Day there or at the new
track in Tamworth.

Ken Mitchell
'00 RS
Spencer MA USA