Re: [ST] Blind Old Fart

>One of the underlying problems is the way that traffic laws are
>enforced. People become complacent when they don't have to do things
>safely. Cops are quick to give out tickets for not wearing a seat belt
>(IMO a victimless crime) but not for cell phone talking (how distracting
>is that).

Funny you should ask "...how distracting is that?"  I just read an article
in Discover last night that compared the reaction times of drivers in a
driving simulation environment to the reaction times of drivers with blood
alcohol counts of .08.  It seems that the reaction times of cell phone users
were the same as the drunk drivers' times.  The mode of phone operation
(hands-free versus not) was not the issue - the issue was that people who
are talking on cell phones (as opposed to passengers in the car with them)
may be seeing things occuring on the road, but not processing them at a
normal speed.

Chris
'01 ST

End of st-digest V2002 #1406