[ST] Water in the wheel

It was warm enough to wash the bike today, so I went ahead and did it.
Afterwards, I degreased and lubed the chain.  As I spun the rear wheel to
apply the chain oil, I heard sloshing sounds.

I can see that there are holes in the "spokes" of the wheel, which must be
where the water got in.  I'm guessing that this isn't harmful; it didn't
seem to upset the balance of the wheel or anything.

Is this something I should take steps to avoid next time?  Is there a
preferred method for getting the water out, aside from evaporation?  Or is
this perfectly normal and nothing to worry about?

Thanks,
  - Dave