RE: [ST] Moron #99

Well there is recourse here in Oregon although it's a somewhat cumbersome
process.  But basically, ORS 153.058 sets out a procedure for initiation of
violation proceedings by a private party.  In a nutshell it gives any
private person the means to have a citation issued to another person for a
traffic, boating, wildlife, and a few other violations.  You go to the
court, swear out a complaint, a summons gets served on the other person, and
then you both get to argue in front of a judge just as if you were cited by
a police officer.  Of course, you have to be able to positively identify the
driver.
Anyway, many States have laws similar to this.  Not sure about Australia!