[ST] rear brake

I just finished reading Nick Ienatsch's new book, "Sport Riding Techniques,"
David Bull Publishing, 2003, which I enjoyed very much, and in addition, I now
feel a whole lot better about my rear brake. After describing what happens
when the rear wheel locks up on a fast corner, Nick goes on to state that many
of the rear brakes on AMA supersport bikes are modified so that they will not
lock up, doing such things as boring large holes in the rotor, or removing pad
material. My rear brake ('99 ST) refuses to lock up, with no modification at
all-ie it behaves just like Miguel's, at no extra charge. Should we tell the
race teams that all they have to do is move the disc 4" closer to the sprocket,
so as to pick up a little chain lube mist, and their lock-up worries will be
over? Dave Collins, San Diego