Re: [ST] AMA, what I don't like

At 05:19 PM 2/5/03, Bil Swartz wrote:

>Puh-leeeze!  Perhaps she doesn't know what all the "good" the AMA is doing
>for us is?  I am not a politically motivated motorcyclist by any means,
>but I know there are dozens of fights the AMA takes on to protect my
>rights to ride every year.
><snip>
>I for one am quite sure the good outweighs the bad, and think she needs to
>look again since she feels so strongly about it.

This is simply a matter of what issues you consider to be most important.
The "good" outweighs the "bad" only if you're in agreement as to what's
being defined as "good" and "bad". To her, these issues (that she finds the
AMA on the "wrong" side of) are of more importance to her than her "right
to ride". I myself see the opposite - that a "right to ride" overrides
these other considerations.

She belongs to several organizations that oppose some/many of the
initiatives supported by groups that the AMA has chosen in the past to
align themselves with. Wouldn't it be inconsistent from a philosophical
standpoint to contribute money/efforts to both sides?

(I am purposely being obtuse about exactly what the issues are just so some
long rancorous discussion isn't indulged.)

Not all people attach the same significance to the AMA's efforts and
issues. My point is simply that someone can hold valid, legitimate reasons
for not joining the AMA - that it's not always just a matter of not wanting
to spend the money/time/effort.

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA#90
Duc 748