RE: [ST] Cost to mount tires?

My former Triumph dealer charged nothing for mounting tires, wheels off the
bike, if you bought the tires from him, but you paid full boat for the
tires.  His shop rate was $70 per hour.  The other two Honda dealerships
here in town charge about $50 a tire to mount with wheel off the bike,
regardless of where you buy the tires.  One of those dealers, though has had
a 1/2 price tire sale going on for about 9 months now.  That's any tire,
whether in stock or not, and 1/2 off the list price.  My last set of MEZ4's
were less than $200.00.  the list price for the rear is $210.  I've changed
the last three sets with tire irons and just bought a tire machine.  Haven't
had a chance to use that yet, though.

I could see where you would be charged that much with the wheels on the bike
if the shop rate is nearing $100 per hour.  If the shop's rate is $70 an
hour, that's two hours.  An awful long time for a mechanic to take removing
and replacing two wheels and replacing two tires.  I'd shop around a bit and
take the wheels into another shop next time.  The only thing another shop
might have trouble with is balancing the rear tire, though ducati, Honda and
BMW all have single sided swing arms too and should have the proper
equipment.

Dan Wallander
www.danwallander.com
Albuquerque, NM