Re: [ST] welcome

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 03:59:55PM +1100, Trevor Adams wrote:
> A query I have for all you seasoned Sprinters. Is the fuel gauge known
> to demonstrate a rapid decent towards empty, once it decides to move
> off full ? I picked the bike up with what was showing a full tank.
> After roughly 120klms, I stopped for a coffee and the gauge indicated
> 2/3rds of a tank. When I started her up again, the needle sat just off
> empty, but no fuel warning light. There seemed to be several litres
> sloshing around so I guessed I was fine. I was also in an area where
> there was no close fuel stop. I rode another 80klms, stopped at the
> first station (still no fuel warning light) and the bike took 15
> litres. So I deduced that the tank was not full to start even though
> it indicated it was.

First off, congrats on the new ST.

This is pretty much normal. check out:
http://www.triumphnet.com/st/faq/fuelsender/index.html

However, there was also a fuel sender recall (I guess that's for the
02's as well?) that might not have been performed.  I think that was
more to sort out a problem where the fuel light would come on
ridiculously early, or if the sender was leaking fuel.

I used to pretty much ignore my gauge, preferring to use the trip
odometer.  At 150-175 miles, I'd start thinking about maybe getting gas
soon, depending on riding conditions.

Laters,
Brian
- --