Re: [ST] want to like an ST

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 01:58:14PM -0500, Michael Abraham wrote:

> I've been thinking for some time about trading my T-595 Daytona for
> something a bit "calmer," and more of the sport-touring
> variety.  Obviously, the Sprint ST is a likely candidate.  My nearest
> dealer (90 miles away) has two new left-overs on the floor, a 2001 and a
> 2002, both priced in the low $9000 range.  I test rode the 2001 a few weeks
> ago.

There are some great deals on leftover Sprints out there.  The 02 has a
little more power and sounds a little less like a tractor at idle.

> My positive impressions were: excellent power at all rev ranges,
> particularly down low.  Smooth engine, nice and quiet but very
> muscular.  Good handling (although on a test ride, I didn't push it).
> Nice appearance.

> The first was the placement of the handlebars, which were too far forward
> and angled downward too much.  I'm short (five feet, five inches), so the
> bars are a real stretch for me.  I'm under the impression that GenMar
> risers will help some, but I'm concerned they won't help enough to take the
> pressure off my wrists on longer rides.  So I'd be interested in anyone's
> impressions of them.  Also, are there any aftermarket bars with
> adjustments, like the BMW bars?

Riding position is a very subjective thing.  I've always heard to give a
new bike 1000 or so miles for your body to adapt to it before modding
the seat or bars.

I find it curious that you now ride a daytona, but find the sprint's
riding position a stretch.

> Second, the instrumentation was difficult to see and use.  The speedometer,
> if my memory serves me, registered to 180 in ten mph increments.  This
> seems silly to me, as the bike won't go that fast.

No, but it might *read* that fast if you got a true 160mph out of it, it
would read 175-180mph.  Also, the speedo is great for poseur points.  :b

> Also, from my limited experience at triple-digit speeds, the last
> thing I was looking at was my speedometer!  The problem, though, is
> that the digits are too small and close together to read with any
> accuracy.

They are small and close together.  The Sprint RS has a digital speedo,
fyi.

> The digital clock is too small and dimly lit, and the warning lights
> are also too dim.  These things appear not to have remedies, but
> merely need to be adjusted to.  Any thoughts?

The warning lights are fine, IMHO.  If anything, I wish the Eye of God
fuel warning light was less bright and distracting.

The clock can be hard to read in low-light, but at least the bike has
one.  The speedo reads 10% high and is not easily fixable (if at all).

However, I have a fix for all your speedo/clock issues:  a Sigma BC800
bicycle computer.  Accurate, digital with large numbers, and has a
clock, as well as serving as another trip odo and keeping track of
avg/max speeds, etc.  It's $25.  It isn't backlit but there is an
accessory light you can buy for it.

Some will say that you shouldn't have to buy the bc800 to fix something
the sprint lacks, and I can see that PoV.  But actually, I would
recommend the bc800 for any bike.

Good luck.

Laters,
Brian