[ST] Fog, black rims, tire mount gouging, etc

Some stuff I've learned from experience or stolen from other lists,
which work for me:
Those of you with Arai helmets, there is an extended nose piece
available which replaces the stock rubber bit and extends all the way to
your checks and nose.   It works very well.  I got mine at BMW San
Francisco, but I'm sure any Arai dealer can get them, notably Kiernan's.
Lot's of coatings work OK, but cost money.  Nothing I've tried works any
better than the spooge that collects around the top of dish soap
containers.   Grab a bit between thumb and forefinger  and spread it
around the inside of the screen.  (Best done with the screen removed)
 When it's almost transparent, buff lightly with a soft cloth (I find
yellow dusting cloths work excellent).  Thanks to Flash for this tip.
Black rims: I use an orange based cleaner/ degreaser to clean the rims
(Sprayed on a cloth and wiped, NOT sprayed on the rims.  It's
detrimental to the adhesive on the balancing weights and probably the
rubber tires as well)  I pick up a lot of tar here in Las Vegas in the
summer.  For that I use normal tar remover (Once again, applied on a
cloth, not sprayed).  Both methods leave a slight grey haze on the rims
which I remedy with Lemon Pledge, the duct tape of cleaner/polishers.
 As someone else posted, a nice coating of SOMETHING makes it easier to
keep the rims clean in the first place, but mind those weights.
Tire balancing: The one and only time I went to the FORMER Triumph
dealer  for mounting (simply because the adaptor for the S/S Swingarm
isn't all that common) they quoted me $125 for F/R mount and balance and
informed me they wouldn't be able to do the job for a week.  I smiled,
left, and proceed to the M/C Accessory store (with my mail order tires,
I might add) that normally does my tires.  They charge $25 each for R/R
and mount and spin balance. (The dealer only static balances) They had
neither the adaptor or the correct socket for the rear hub so I bought
them for them.  Now they generally drop everything and mount my tires
whenever I come in for $20/ each, on the bike.
If I were you, I'd forward all of our  email replies to the dealer along
with a note explaining that if they are interested in your future
business, they need to make ammends, like your next set of tires at
dealer cost , mounted and balanced for free.

Happy Trails
David
'99ST

Happy Trails