Re: [ST] fjr, again

Don't get me wrong, the ST is an excellent mid 90's bike, but it
is now almost a decade later. I loved my ST, wish I still had
it, but it was taken away from me in the prime of its life.

but...

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Brian D . wrote:

> I do find it curious, though, that the FJR was in Europe for at
> least a year before coming stateside. Why didn't the nits get
> picked before now?

Oops, sorry then, the nits got fixed after 2 years. Although the
'03s in Europse are getting many of the fixes that will be in
the '04's. From what I can tell the US really got '02 1/2 as an
'03 and '03 1/2 as and '04.

> I think Triumph knows that the Sprint is not on cutting edge of
> technology. Their showcase for that is the Daytona.

So, Yamaha's showcase is not the FJR, but they put the effort
into it.

As far as H*nda, which bike is their show case, VFR, ST1300,
CBR954rr, Rune, VTX, HondaBago, CBR600rr, F4i, well, which one,
all of them are top notch, most of them re-designed in the last
two years.

IOT, why do you want to limit yourself to only having 1/2 (or
less) your bikes being reasonably modern. Especially when you
have the technology sitting on the shelf as Triumph does!

>> Hands down, and I have said this before, If they could have
>> sold me a Daytona engined, Daytona suspened 3 bag ST for
>> 13,000 OTD, I would have not even stepped into the Yamaha
>> dealership.
>
> Why would anyone buy a daytona if the ST was the same bike, but
> comfier and slightly heavier? They're afraid of cannibalizing
> Daytona sales.

Different seating position, different look, the Daytona will be
lighter, different geometry, thus better handling, even if just
marginal.

I guess it depends, are the Daytonas jumping off the sales room
floors, AFAIK no!

Where the ST's jumping of the sales room floors, AFAIK, damn
close, but not now.

So, if you make the ST better, cut the Daytona sales in half,
but increase the ST/RS sales increase by 50%, Triumph would be
better off, at least I would think.

Anyway, you can still de-tune the ST's engine for lower end
torque, keep the peek torque numbers the same between the bikes,
just make the ST's lower than the Daytona's, maybe drop some of
the higher revs of the ST's engine, and bang, the Daytona has
5-10 more HP than the ST.

>> But as it stands, I now have a more comfortable ride, that is
>> more confidence inspiring in the corners and faster of the
>> line than the ST, exactly the same as the Daytona!
>
> Except the daytona is 430lbs dry and the FJR is how many? Oh
> wait, but Yamaha hides that weight by putting the battery up
> high, right? :b

I will clarify, both the Daytona and FJR are/have
- - a more compliant/comfortable ride over bumpy and harsh pavement
- - more confidence inspiring
- - handle better.

Yes, the Daytona does out handle the FJR, duh, but they both out
handle the ST.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson, Dallas, TX
 '00 Yamaha WR400F (self abuse in style)
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s
 '03 Yamaha FJR1300

 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500
 killed by rocks: '01 BRG Sprint ST (18 months old, 25,152 miles)