Re: [ST] 12k mile service, doing the valves!A

Yup, take your time, don't over torque the bolts on the coils, 5
lb-ft is more than enough. The directions can be a bit
misleading, the special tools is well worth the money!

When you have to change a valve shim

a) make shure bucket is all the way down (this is what sorta got
us, but we figured it out pretty quickly)

b) install the tool and torque as specified

c) rotate real wheel (forward IRC) and the lobe will rotate away
from the tool, keep on going until the lobe is 180deg away from
the bucket.

d) get out the small magnetic probe, and pull the shim.

e) measure the shim

f) use the chart, replace the shim (i cover the shim with oil
before insertion)

g) rotate the rear wheel backwards and until the lobe pushed the
new bucket as far as she'll got

h) remove the tool

i) rotate the wheel a couple of time forward so the cams will
rotate a couple of times, re-measure.

When you put the cam cover back on, it is easier if you remove
the side fairings, but we did not, and it really did not hurt us
too badly, just take your time so you do not make a mess.

put it all together, did I mention not to over torque the bolts
holding down the coils. While you are in there you might as well
get some new plugs, make sure to check the gap.

Life is good, let us know how it went.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson, Dallas, TX
 '00 Yamaha WR400F (self abuse in style)
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s
 '03 Yamaha FJR1300

 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500
 killed by rocks: '01 BRG Sprint ST (18 months old, 25,152 miles)