[ST] Sprint ST vs. FJR

Well, well, well,

We found a new thread.  To hell with tires.  Forget oil.  Who cares about
accessories.  We can argue about two very different bikes all day long!

Hell, I'm as big a Triumph fan as there could be, but no matter how much I
love my ST, Tom can kick my ass on his 3 bag, big ass, re-wired FJR all day
long.  Does that bother me?  Maybe a little.  After all, he did humble me by
pulling a full wheelie using nothing but engine power.  (Not by rolling off
the throttle in first gear pushing on the bars and then rolling it
wide-open, or by dropping teeth off his front sprocket.)  Just a twist of
the wrist, nothing fancy.

Is the FJR a bland bike?  In my opinion, yes. (I do like the shape of the
tank.)  Not much character or charisma, but absolutely solid in every way.
(The heated grips are a bit cheap, and I'm pretty sure the bags don't have
the capacity of the those on the ST.)

My ST is great!  The more I ride it, the more I love it.  I rode an Aprilia
Tuono two weeks ago and the ST has a better, but less powerful motor.  I
love it for what it can do, but I wish it could do more.

If you think about it, the FJR is the equivalent of a ST frame, a Daytona
motor, Daytona suspension, ST instrumentation supplemented with Daytona, S3,
and RS LCD, Speed Triple seating position, a WORKING fuel gauge (I'm on my
FOURTH sender) and a much better seat.  Triumph could build a British FJR if
they wanted.  Why don't they, you ask?  BECAUSE THEY ARE BRITISH!  THEY HAVE
TO BE DIFFERENT.  AND THEY DON'T CARE WHAT YOU OR I THINK!  THEY WILL DO
WHAT THEY WANT, WHEN THEY WANT, HOW THEY WANT.

I for one will put a little faith in Bloor and the chaps in England and wait
to see what they come up with.  (Just a hint to you guys in England, if you
liked what Carlo Talamo was doing in Italy with your bikes, take a look at
what some of the German and American dealers are doing.  Specifically,
replacing the bars and headlight assemblies on Daytonas and scrapping the
bodywork to make a 149HP Speed Triple.  No offense, but I would rather have
that than a FIFTH version of the Bonneville.)

In the end, the FJR is NOT a sport tourer!  It is a SUPER sport tourer.  So,
lets get back to working on OUR bikes.  You remember them, those wonderful
triples with that special bit of European eccentricity that we paid a little
extra for.

Cheers!

Manuel Gonzalez
2001 BRG ST (Still the best middle weight SPORT TOURER!)

End of st-digest V2002 #825