[ST] Tom and his FJR vs. Your Sprint

OK, my turn, and a little "inside info"  :]

First off, all y'all need to understand that my good friend Tom is Canadian,
so "American" is not his native language.  The idioms and phrases we all
take for granted do not come natural to Tom.  If you do not have the
capacity to translate his Canadian back to regular "American", I will
endeavor to do so....

When he says, "The FJR is superior to the ST" (in whatever way), he really
means; "My ST was eaten by rocks in Colorado, halfway into my Grand Tour
that I had been planning for months, so I opted for the latest, greatest
sport-Touring bike that all the Bike Mags were ga-ga over and so far I like
it just fine, and I want all of you to know what a cool bike it is".

When Tom says, "the ST is 90's tech", what he really means is; "I want newer
better more trick bikes every 6 months!" (this is evident when you see he
has a TL1000S, and WR-whatever, and the mighty FJR).

So you see, it's really all a matter of semantics.  Chill.  ;)

I will say one thing tho', many valid points have been made on this subject
by a lot of y'all, including Tom.  What bothers me is the level of venom in
some of the posts.  Tom stated his OPINION on a motorcycle related subject,
debating his opinion is cool, but personal attacks definitely are not (in my
book, anyway).  Since when has this become the "Taliban, Sprint-ST/RS
list"???

Hey, it's cool to state your differences of OPINION with anyone, but when
you make statements questioning someone's ability/integrity or knowledge,
but you have NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, with that person, you need to step back
and take a breath.

I have personally ridden with Tom for many a mile, he's pretty damn good.  I
have personally worked with him in the garage, watching him deftly sinc
throttle bodies, adjust valves, install the complete 3-bag system, and many
other mechanical duties, all on the mighty SPRINT-ST.  The dude knows the
mechanical working/attributes of the ST better than any one I know outside
of professional mechanics (and better than many of those).  But he is
Canadian  :D

So before you guys fly off the handle "defending" your precious Sprints,
just remember you are really preaching to the choir.  Tom ~is~ one of us, he
is just a temporary "backslider".  Pray for his return to the flock.  He is
looking for 100K from the FJR, knowing him that should only be about 2 1/2
years, if the FJR holds up, that is.

You may now go back to your regularly scheduled,
oil/tire/exhaust/screen/riser/fuel sender/sprocket threads
(even tho' all the answers are already in the archives)

STeve Duncan
T.S.R.A Charter member
00' ST 36K/2yrs (RIP)
next '00 ST 6K and counting