RE: [ST] handlebars

Don,

How long have you ridden your ST with the bar risers? Also, I wonder how
long you may have ridden other, more upright bikes before getting aboard the
ST. I ask because only a few riders (that I am aware of) find the ST bars to
be uncomfortable. Most of THOSE had spent upwards of 30 years riding
standards or cruisers. I have an RS version, and the bars are even lower,
further forward. When I get on an ST, I feel like I'm riding a cruiser!

It's a matter of time. The first ride I did on a modern bike (Suzuki GSXF750
Katana), I thought I was going to die. (It's posture is virtually the same
as my RS, BTW) That was only 150 miles. The second ride was a little better,
and every subsequent ride it got easier.

I gave my body a chance to adjust to this posture before giving up. It took
just a few weeks, about 1200 miles of riding. Now I can ride my RS all day,
for over 500 miles without feeling any discomfort at all in my wrists, arms
or back. (My hips do get sore, but I think a new seat will help.) I'm at
36,000 miles on a not-quite 3 year old bike, just weekend riding. I am
considering something like a Daytona for my next bike, but I want the boost
of a 1300cc (or bigger) engine!

The slight (and I do mean SLIGHT) forward cant of the ST is actually perfect
for very long rides, IMO. If, after a long time at trying to adjust you
still cannot come to terms with the ST, I have one word for you: TIGER!!!
That bike is the best-kept secret in the motorcycling world. I'd ride one if
I could get past the "big dirt bike" look, but I did ride one for a while
and it's AWESOME.

Good luck!

Ken M.
2000 RS