Re: [ST] Gave Away the FZ-1

Brian,
You're right, it is a whole lotta bike for the $.  There were time I really
liked it a lot.  But for the record, here it is:

1)  First and foremost - the excessive heat from the engine.  I had it
checked by the dealer who said it was running at normal temperature, but the
heat on the inner part of my legs was so intense that on warm days I would
end up with 1st degr burns, meaning, reddness that took a long time to go
away.  I had responses from other FZ owners who had the same problem.  One
even said he was "afraid his jeans would burst into flames".  Ride the bike
before buying it; the heat problem was evident right from the start.

2)  Throttle twitchy - I had to keep my guard up at all times because any
extra movement in the wrist, and the front wheel started to rise, ie., too
much power for me

3)  Gearing -  the gearing was so low that I felt like it had no power in
1st gear.  I had hubby put a 40 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel (stock is
44)  and that helped quite a bit.

And now in defense of the FZ -  It shifted like smooth butter, no clunks,
just slight toe action, and "click".  It was light and nimble...like you
would expect a sportbike to be.  It looks awesome.  It gets a lot of
attention - everyone comes up to you and asks you how you like it.  It is
not expensive.

OK, so why did I buy it in the first place?  (especially being president of
a Triumph club, for which I got some flack)    This is a domestic question..
After my mishap, I was surprised that the insurance co totalled the ST.
Triumph parts are so high priced and the damage to the plastic was
extensive.  Hubby was adamant the ST was "not the bike for you" and I was in
a quandry.  Most people would have no problem here: get the ST and get rid
of hubby.  But I had a plan.  I knew he wanted an FZ and if I waited long
enough, he would break down about the ST.  And the plan worked.  So he has
his FZ (as a 2nd bike) and I have my ST.

Long answer to short question.  Take care.
Linda