RE: [ST] Haynes or Clymer's manual

I've had the same experience with the coil bolts.  Don't take a torque
wrench to these.  Just give them a good snug fit with your wrench, they
don't need much.  Also, the cam cover bolts have two different torque
values.  The two rightmost bolts are supposed to be torqued to a higher
value than the other six.  Don't do this.  Torque all 8 cam cover bolts to
the same lower value.  These bolts screw into the cam shaft caps and strip
very easily at the higher torque value.  The cam shaft caps cannot be
replaced, so a heli-coil is the only remedy.  I don't have the Haynes
manual, only the Triumph manual so can't speak to anything else.

Dan

Dan Wallander
www.danwallander.com
Albuquerque, NM
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'74 BMW R90/6

Watch out for the bolts holding down the coils, when I did my
valves and replaced the coils, 2 of the bolts stripped in the
cam cover with just over 1/2 the torque they are rated for. Now
I can't say if that was the fault of soft threads in the cover,
or if the mechanic who did the valves at 12k was ham fisted, all
I know is when the bike went back together two of the bolts
where held in by blue locktight. The only reason why I left that
way, is there virtually no load on them as they are also held
onto the spark plug with friction.